School boards are required to make every reasonable effort at the school and district level to resolve concerns collaboratively with parents. However, despite these efforts, parents and the school may disagree about the education of students and ECS children identified with special education needs. If parents and school staff cannot come to an agreement, parents may contact their local school board office for assistance and advice on next steps. Private school parents should contact their school administrators for more information.
For more information about the appeals process, see
- The Learning Team: A Handbook for Parents of Children with Special Needs
- Working Together to Resolve Differences
- Standards for Special Education, Amended June 2004
- Standards for the Provision of Early Childhood Special Education
- Requirements for Special Education in Accredited-Funded Private Schools