Emerge One-to-One Laptop Learning
Alberta Education's Emerge Laptop Learning Project was initiated in response to a growing trend toward one-to-one mobile computing.
In September 2006, Alberta Education issued a Call for Proposals from Alberta school jurisdictions interested in research-based one-to-one wireless learning initiatives that supported specific educational goals within Grades 4-12. As a result, 20 school jurisdictions became part of the Emerge Laptop Learning project, involving over 2000 students using laptops. The project also involved approximately 200 teachers at 50 schools across the province.
The project ran until August 2010, and focused on all aspects of laptop use in the classroom. Each jurisdiction developed its own project aimed to enhance teaching and learning for specific student populations or improve student learning in targeted areas.
Three documents are currently available online:
- The final report of the Emerge One-to-One Laptop Learning project.
- The Year Two report is also available.
- The Implementing One-to-One Laptop Learning in Alberta's Schools resource and the summary document are available.
Year Two Emerge Video:
To view the Year Two video on the Emerge One-to-One project, click on the play button. (Uploaded September 2009)
This may take a few minutes to upload.
School videos are available by clicking on the Project Videos link in the top right corner.
The projects were part of a research study of one-to-one mobile computing with the objectives to:
- investigate the potential educational benefits of one-to-one mobile computing;
- identify technical merits and innovative practices in one-to-one mobile computing;
- share expertise, experience and lessons learned related to one-to-one mobile computing; and to
- inform and support one-to-one mobile computing implementations within Alberta's learning system.
Activities began during the 2007-2008 school year, and continued through to the end of the 2009-2010 school year.
For more information, please see Alberta Education, One-to-One Mobile Computing: Literature Review, August 2006 and the Resources section of this website.
Updated April 2013