Programs of Study
Alberta’s Early Childhood Services (ECS) to Grade 12 curriculum is outlined in provincial programs of study, which identify what students are expected to learn and do in all subjects and grades. The curriculum is designed to help students achieve their individual potential and create a positive future for themselves, their families and their communities.
High quality learning and teaching resources, in the form of student texts, teacher guides, videos and software programs, contribute to student achievement by supporting implementation of the programs of study and accommodating the diverse learning needs of Alberta students.
Alberta Education ensures schools have advance notice so they can prepare for curriculum changes.
- Curriculum Implementation for the 2013–2014 School Year
- Provincially Authorized Senior High School Courses and Course Codes, 2013–2014 (Effective September 2013)
- Program Amendments / Courses Withdrawn
For more information about programs of study, required and optional subject areas and courses for elementary and junior high schools, and senior high school courses and programs refer to the Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12.
Programs of Study:
- Aboriginal Studies
- Career and Technology Studies
- Early Childhood Services (ECS) - Grade 3
- English as a Second Language
- English Language Arts
- Fine Arts
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit Languages Programs
- French as a Second Language
- French Language Arts
- Green Certificate Program
- Health / Career and Life Management
- Information and Communication Technology
- International Languages Programs
- Knowledge and Employability Courses
- Off-campus Education
- Physical Education
- Social Sciences
- Social Studies
- Wellness Education
- Other Programs