English as a Second Language
Learning and Teaching Resources
Alberta K-12 ESL Proficiency Benchmarks
, 2010 – The ESL Benchmarks are intended to be used with English language learners. They provide descriptions of language proficiency for each grade-level division (Kindergarten, Grades 1 to 3, Grades 4 to 6, Grades 7 to 9 and Grades 10 to 12), support schools in delivering effective instruction and program planning for English language learners; and support teachers in assessing language proficiency
A Review of the Literature on English as a Second Language Issues
, 2008 – This literature review, carried out by the University of Calgary, focuses on three areas: content and curriculum, how schools can identify English language learners with special education needs, and English language learners with limited first language literacy.
- Supporting English as a Second Language Students: Promising ESL Strategies in Alberta, 2009 – Promising ESL Strategies in Alberta is a compilation of best practices and strategies gleaned through the Alberta Initiative for School Improvement (AISI) projects focusing on: projects involving ESL students, ESL strategies, projects involving ESL students and other English language students, projects that involve ESL students but apply to all students.
- Teaching Refugees with Limited Formal Schooling, 2011 – Teaching Refugees with Limited Formal Schooling is a website developed by the Calgary Board of Education through a grant from Alberta Education to support educators in their work with students with refugee backgrounds. This website provides information, publications, educational materials and exemplars from the field that promote effective programming for students of this profile.
- What School Administrators Need to Know about English Language Learners and ESL Programming, 2011 – This four-page guide focuses on the following areas: English language learners, programming and supports, language proficiency measurement, teaching strategies, classroom assessment, and supporting English language learners and their families.
Additional Resource Links
- Connection: Information for Teachers – This online newsletter, published each school year in September, November, January, March and May, provides information on a wide variety of topics (e.g., curriculum, authorized resources, assessment, technology) to support teachers in the classroom.
- Curriculum Express – Find a short explanation of school and what students learn – for parents who are English language learners.
- ESL Literature Review Update – In 2009, Alberta Education contracted Howard Research & Management Consulting Inc. to update the literature review associated with the 2004–2006 study into the factors that influence and predict academic success of ESL students.
- Funding Manual – The Funding Manual assists school jurisdictions, charter schools, accredited funded private schools and private ECS operators in understanding and accessing Alberta Education funding. The Funding Manual includes formulas, rates, criteria and reporting requirements.
- Guide to Education: ECS to Grade 12 – The Guide to Education provides information for administrators, counsellors, teachers and other parties engaged in the delivery of quality basic education. The guide contains key requirements and other information for the implementation of education programming and the operation of schools.
- My Child’s Learning: A Parent Resource – find a summary of what students are expected to learn and be able to do – designed specifically for parents.