1. Preparatory Checklist
Please make sure that you have:
- List of all secondary schools attended
- List of all post-secondary institutions attended
- Type and date of credentials(s) earned
- Type and date of teacher certification received in your home jurisdiction
- A history of your teaching experience
- Your credit card (MasterCard, American Express or Visa) or Visa debit card, if you are paying your fee online
2. Complete the Online Portion of Your Application
- Navigate to the TWINS Teacher Self-Service
- On the sidebar, click "Sign up for an Alberta Education Account"
- After signing up for an Alberta Education account, return to the TWINS Teacher Registry Self-Service website and click on the “Apply for Alberta Teacher Certification” item.
- Fully complete all sections of the application. All information entered on the application form becomes part of your permanent record with Alberta Education.
- Once all sections of the application are completed in full, double-check your application and press the “Submit Application” button at the bottom of the last page of the application form. For security purposes, once you have pressed "Submit Application" you will not be able to return to the application form. Do not attempt to print the application from this screen.
- Once the submission is completed you will be automatically directed to the “Application Submission Success” screen. A PDF copy of your application will be displayed for your own records. If you have applied after July 23, 2017 it is not necessary to mail a signed application form to the Office of the Registrar. DO NOT navigate away from the page until the PDF is displayed. Please note that it may take up to several minutes to generate and display the PDF version of the submitted application.
- Print two copies, one for your records and one to be signed and mailed with supporting documents to Teaching & Leadership Excellence (see contact).
- To Print or Save a PDF document, hover the cursor over the displayed PDF document to reveal a row of icons. Click the Print icon and you may also click the Save icon to save the PDF file to your computer.
- You now have the option to pay the $225.00 application fee online by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express currently accepted), or Visa debit card by selecting the “Proceed to Payment” button. You will be directed to a secure web page to complete your payment transaction. You may also pay the application fee online at a later date by signing into TWINS Teacher Registry Self-Service and following the links to make payment.
Tip: If you wish to print your completed application form at a later time, sign into TWINS Teacher Registry Self-Service, locate your application, and click the "Details" link to display the PDF form.
3. Send in Your Supporting Documents
Once you have submitted the online part of the application, you must submit additional documents:
- A photocopy of your government issued Canadian birth certificate, OR official evidence of your immigration status or right to work in Canada (remember that passports are not considered valid evidence of your right to work in Canada)Evidence of all names used for legal purposes, if applicable
- A current (within the last six months), original criminal record check (CRC) including a vulnerable sector check (VSC)
- Ensure that the CRC/VSC includes all names you have used for legal purposes
- If you wish to mail your payment or come into the office to deliver it, please make your domestic Canadian cheque or money order of $225.00 payable to the Government of Alberta, and send it to the Office of the Registrar at Alberta Education.
Documents are to be mailed to the Office of the Registrar at Alberta Education. Some documents are accepted by uploading a PDF copy of the document through TWINS Teacher Self-Service - review your application's checklist to see if that option is available.
Please note that international cheques are no longer accepted. Do not mail cash.
Documents for Other Institutions/Organizations to Send In On Your Behalf
You are also required to request the following official documents be mailed directly to the Office of the Registrar at Alberta Education.
- Official transcript(s), to include a detailed record of all courses completed and grades, from ALL post-secondary institutions attended, including any transfer institutions
- Official Statement(s) of Professional Standing from ALL jurisdictions where you currently hold or have held certification including the jurisdiction where you completed your teacher preparation program
Applications will not be processed until fee payment and all required documentation have been received.
Notes about Your Supporting Documents
- All documents in a language other than English or French must be accompanied by an English or French translation along with the statutory declaration form (see below under "Supporting Documents"). Statutory declarations are not required if your translation was completed by an official translator.
- Please check if you are required to send additional documents by logging in to TWINS Teacher Registry Self Service. Requests for additional documents will also be sent to you by mail.
- Unless specified, photocopies of original documents are not acceptable in support of your application. Original documents can be submitted in-person or by mail. All original documents will be returned by registered mail. When photocopies of original documents can be accepted, you may be able to upload a copy in PDF format directly through the TWINS Teacher Self-Service site. Check your application checklist for any documents that may be uploaded.
- Incomplete applications and documents not deemed irreplaceable that are submitted in support of an application will be retained on file for one year from receipt of the last document(s). After one year, they will be destroyed in accordance with Alberta Education Records Management Policies.
4. Confirmation E-mail
You will receive an e-mail confirmation to the same address you used to set up your Alberta Education account.
5. Preliminary Processing
Once your signed application and payment is received, an initial review will be completed to determine if any further supporting documents are required. You will be contacted by mail to acknowledge any documents that have been received and inform you of any further documents that must be submitted to support your application.
A letter will be sent to you confirming that your file is complete.
Track the progress of your application by signing into TWINS Teacher Registry Self-Service.
Application status is not available by phone. Please visit the TWINS Teacher Registry Self-Service site for all matters relating to your application status.
6. Evaluation of Credentials
Applications are evaluated in date order from the date that an application is considered to be complete. An application is considered complete when the application, payment, and all required supporting documents have been received.
Once your file is complete, your application for an Interim Professional Certificate will be assessed within 30-40 business days.
Please wait until the recommended time has passed before contacting the Office of the Registrar at Alberta Education.
Electronic Consent - Application to Teach in Alberta
Individuals seeking certification to teach in Alberta must complete an online application hosted through the Teacher Workforce Information System (TWINS) public site. Information provided by the individual must be complete and accurate in all respects.
Alberta Education accepts electronic submissions of the application. The application includes several statements requiring an electronic signature that consists of clicking an electronic checkbox to acknowledge or accept a declaration. By applying to teach in Alberta through submission of the online application, you understand that:
- Applications to teach in Alberta may be completed electronically, which means that Alberta Education will accept consent in electronic form for the purposes of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- You must provide all other documents to support the application by mail, or electronically (where offered)
If you are unable to submit the electronic form, please contact the Office of the Registrar at Alberta Education at email@example.com.
If you find an error or omission in your application after the submission, you must contact the Office of the Registrar at Alberta Education immediately.