While Alberta Education determines “what” students need to learn in provincial curriculum, teachers use their professional judgement to determine “how” students achieve the learning outcomes in the provincial curriculum.
Future provincial curriculum that is currently under development will include some common elements:
- Subject Introductions describe the spirit and nature of each subject and explains why the subject is learned.
- Scope and Sequences outline what students will learn (scope) and when they will learn it (sequence).
- Essential Understandings or big ideas, are broad statements that frame what students will learn.
- Guiding Questions help create engaging and challenging learning opportunities for students.
- Subject Learning Outcomes are “what” students are expected to know, understand, and be able to do in each subject and grade. They include subject content and skills and are built on a foundation of literacy and numeracy.
Alberta's provincial curriculum is designed to help students achieve their individual potential and create a positive future for themselves, their families and their communities.