Provide Albertans with an opportunity to recognize and celebrate the many contributions teachers and principals make to student learning – modeling leadership, encouraging a love of learning and instilling confidence and pride in their students.
Excellence in Teaching Awards
The Excellence in Teaching Awards were initiated in 1989 by the Minister of Education to:
- Recognize outstanding Alberta teachers
- Honour creative, innovative, and effective teaching
- Focus public attention on the teaching profession
- Involve Albertans in celebrating teaching excellence
Alberta Education presents the Excellence in Teaching Awards with the support of the Alberta School Boards Association, the Alberta School Councils’ Association, the Alberta Teachers’ Association, the Association of Alberta Deans of Education, and the College of Alberta School Superintendents.
Semi-finalists are announced in April.
Recognition includes the following:
- eligible nominees receive certificates of recognition
- semi-finalists who are not award recipients receive certificates of recognition and access to $1,500 for professional learning
- award recipients receive certificates of recognition, commemorative pins and access to $4,000 for professional learning
- award recipients’ schools receive monetary awards, certificates of recognition
- award recipients are honoured at a reception, dinner and awards presentation in June
Since 1989, the Excellence in Teaching Awards has provided students, parents, colleagues and community members with the opportunity to nominate outstanding teachers and principals for recognition. More than 10,000 nominations have been submitted and more than 500 educators have received awards since the program started.