International Languages programs include:
- Bilingual programs, where in addition to Languages Arts (Kindergarten to Grade 12), the language is used for instruction in other courses up to a total of 50% of the school day, and
- Language and Culture courses, where the language is studied to develop communication and intercultural and strategic skills, and to build an appreciation for the culture.
Junior High Language and Culture programs have the following entry points:
- Kindergarten/Grade 1 (Twelve-year Language and Culture Programs),
- Grade 4 (Nine-year Language and Culture Programs), and
- Grade 7 (Six-year Language and Culture Programs).
School authorities determine which language programs to offer, based on their resources and community needs. If a language is not available as a provincial program, school authorities can acquire or develop a locally-developed course, according to the process outlined in the Guide to Education.
International Languages Parent Resources