Literacy and Numeracy Are:
- life-long and active processes that begin at birth and develop throughout one’s lifetime
- foundational to successful living, learning and participating in today’s society
- used to make decisions that impact one’s life
- the means through which students develop knowledge and understanding in each subject/discipline area
- a shared responsibility of all K-12 educators in all subjects or disciplines
We use literacy and numeracy every day when we interpret a utility bill, choose a cellphone plan, answer an email, post a message on social media, figure out how much paint to buy, compare prices at the grocery store or interpret a political cartoon.