The Valuing Mental Health: Report of the Alberta Mental Health Review Committee was released on February 22, 2016. The goal is to help strengthen addiction and mental health care for Albertans.
The report includes 32 recommendations aimed at supporting mental health by strengthening service delivery for Albertans with mental illness and addictions.
Six recommendations have been identified as priorities:
- Establish a leadership team to work with community and health partners to create an action plan
- Launch a child and youth mental health website
- Expand access to addiction treatment by opening 3 new social detoxification beds for children and youth in Calgary
- Add mental health detox beds for adults
- Work together with First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities to develop an opiate addiction action plan
- Create a performance monitoring and evaluation framework to track results on report recommendations and benefits to Albertans