Learning another language benefits students in the following ways:
- Students fluent in two languages score higher in both verbal and non-verbal intelligence.
- Students studying a second language are better in divergent thinking tasks and in memory ability and attention span.
- Second language students have higher test scores in reading, language and mathematics.
Effect on First Language
- Education in another language significantly strengthens first language skills in areas of reading, vocabulary development, grammar and communication skills.
- The earlier the start, the greater the positive effect on the first language.
- Students studying another language have superior cross-cultural skills and adapt better to varying cultural contexts.
- Students studying another language display greater cultural sensitivity.
- There is a growing need for qualified speakers of languages other than English in areas of science, technology, medicine and global commerce.
- For information about career opportunities, please see the document in the toolbox on the right.