Alberta Education policies and standards provide additional direction to educators and school authorities to ensure that students receive a high quality education.
Alberta Education has the following policies regarding K-12 education. Details about these policies can be found in the Guide to Education.
- Daily Physical Activity Policy
- English as a Second Language Policy
- Human Sexuality Education Policy
- Inclusive Education Policy
- Learning Commons Policy
- Locally Developed Courses Policy
- Student Evaluation Policy
- Teacher Growth, Supervision and Evaluation Policy
- Use and Reporting of Results on Provincial Assessment Policy
The following standards define acceptable levels in the delivery of ECS-12 education programs and services and the outcomes to be achieved:
- Ministerial Order on Student Learning
- Standards for the Provision of Early Childhood Special Education
- Standard for Special Education (amended June 2004)
- Teaching Quality Standard Applicable to the Provision of Basic Education in Alberta
These standards are compulsory. More details are available via the topics in the left column.