Alberta Education believes that student voice plays a critical role in shaping every level of the education system and ensuring that we are preparing youth in Alberta for success.
Alberta Education has identified that there are three important outcomes for student engagement:
- Students provide input on provincial programs and initiatives through coordinated engagement opportunities.
- Students have ways to be actively involved in giving their perspectives on education initiatives across the province.
- Student leaders and adult champions at provincial and local levels have the skills to effectively and actively engage with one another to help shape the education system.
Alberta Education’s student engagement strategy has two components:
- Every spring, all Alberta students in junior and senior high will have an opportunity to apply to become members of the Minister’s Youth Council.
- Students and school authorities will have access to online student engagement resources posted on this website.