High school teachers can participate in a number of activities related to diploma examinations, including marking, item development, field testing, and examination validation. This section provides brief descriptions about these activities and procedures for becoming involved.
Within Alberta Education’s Student Learning Standards Division, the Assessment Sector is responsible for the provincial assessment programs in basic learning (K-12). This involves the following key activities to facilitate system improvement:
• the development of individual questions
• the design and development of field tests
• production and administration of the provincial achievement tests, student learning assessments, and diploma examinations
• development of special format testing materials for students with special examination writing needs
• marking of provincial assessments, providing students’ results, and reporting at the provincial, school authority, and school levels
• external studies of achievement, including national and international studies.