Statement of Professional Standing
A Statement of Professional Standing is a document issued by a licensing body or Education Ministry that verifies you currently have or have held a valid teaching certificate. A Statement of Standing will likely be needed if you are moving from one jurisdiction to another. The Statement of Professional Standing shows:
- credentials you have earned;
- your certificate’s date of issue;
- whether your certificate has been suspended, cancelled or otherwise withdrawn; and
- the type or level of the teaching certificate.
Alberta Certificated Teachers
If you received a teaching certificate in Alberta and wish to teach outside of Alberta, you may be required to provide a Statement of Professional Standing as evidence that you hold or have held valid teaching authority in Alberta.
Have the following information available to complete the online request through the TWINS Self-Service site:
- your certificate or reference number;
- a list of credentials, institutions, and date each credential was earned;
- name and address of the institution where the statement is to be sent; and
- MasterCard, American Express or Visa if paying the $25.00 fee on line.
Note: If you are not paying online, a cheque or money order for $25.00 payable to the Government of Alberta must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Please include your certificate or reference number on your cheque or money order.
Your request will be processed once payment has been received. The Statement of Professional Standing will be mailed directly to the Certification Office as requested. A copy will also be sent to you for your records.
How to Request a Statement of Standing
Requests for a Statement of Professional Standing must be made online through Teacher Self-Service.
Prerequisite: You must have an Alberta Education Account and be enrolled for Teacher Self-Service.
Steps to requesting a Statement of Standing:
- Visit the Teacher Self-Service site and Sign In.
- Click the Request Statement of Standing option from the left menu.
- Fill in the form with any address or contact information changes and intended recipients.
- Check the credential information displayed. If the credentials displayed are incomplete or inaccurate, submit a request for an Education Credential Change – Please note that original transcripts will be required to confirm credentials.
- Submit the request.
- Payment can be made online after submitting the request.
- A Statement of Standing cannot be issued if a request for a Name Change or an Education Credential Change has not been processed. If you have submitted a Name Change request, ensure evidence of the name change is sent to our office. If you have submitted an Education Credential Change request, ensure original transcripts are sent to our office directly from the institution.
- Once processed, a Statement of Standing will be mailed to the Certification Office(s) requested. A copy will also be provided to you.
- The status of a request can be tracked using the Self-Service View Application and Request option.